A life membership may be bestowed on a member who has made outstanding contributions and rendered exceptional service to the welfare of Union of National Employees members.
- The person nominated for life membership shall be a member who has made outstanding services and contributions to the welfare of the Union of National Employees members at various levels of the organization for a period of six years, not necessarily consecutive.
- Outstanding contribution shall mean service of a very significant nature or service of a high caliber over a period of time; in any case, the service may be at any level of the organization as a whole, but it must have benefited other segments of the organization other than the Local in which the person holds membership.
- A member shall be granted applicant status if nominated during a period of lay-off or on leave without pay.
- Nominations for life membership shall be made by the executive of a Local or the National Executive of the Union of National Employees.
- All applications for life membership shall be referred to the education, honours and awards standing committee, which shall review all applications and make appropriate recommendations to the National Executive.
- All decisions in the awarding of life memberships shall in all circumstances require a two-thirds majority of the National Executive assembled in a regular meeting and voting by secret ballot.
- The National Executive shall not award more than one life membership year.
- A life membership may be withdrawn for any act considered prejudicial to the good and welfare of the component.
- Withdrawal of a life membership shall require a motion and two-thirds majority vote of the National Executive assembled in regular meeting and voting by secret ballot.
The award shall consist of a suitably-framed certificate and a gift (token of appreciation) not to exceed $500.
The presentation of the life membership shall be made by the national president of the Union of National Employees (or a designate) at convention. A suitable announcement will be placed on the UNE’s web site.
Revised: August 2011